Day 211 – Sat 1 April – A Saturday morning without Noah and Ellie was very quiet! I took the opportunity to go and hear Geoff Thomas at Amyand Park Chapel on the Holy Spirit. It was a delight to sit and listen. His first session on the Personhood of the Holy Spirit began with a n outstanding illustration. We use the words Kellogs, Schuh, Mars, Ford without realising that they are people. We use and enjoy their products but we have depersonalised them and there is the terrible danger of doing that with the Holy Spirit. His outline was:-
1. The Holy Spirit is a Person
– The scriptures use personal pronouns
– The personal properties of the Holy Spirit
– The personal tasks of the Spirit
– The personal characteristics
2. The Holy Spirit is God
He is expressly called God, he displays all the perfection of God. There is nothing of God that the Holy Spirit does not know. He knows God exhaustively. He is our creator and displays the Sovereignty of God.
The second lecture was on Luke 9:11-13 “And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. 11 What father among you, if his son asks for[d] a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; 12 or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
1. A promise to believers, 2. The promise is not telling unbelievers to seek Christ but to take him and receive him and come to him , 3. God’s children should ask him to fulfil his promises, 4. God’s children should ask for the Spirit to help them live the Christian life, 5. The promise is that the Holy Spirit will be given by the Father to whose who ask him – Ask God to send God!!
“So often our praying is a protest against the nature of the Christian life” – how we’ve profited when God has said no.
I really enjoyed listening to him, there must have been 60 out, I was surrounded by men making warm low guttural noises of appreciation. I had a brief chat with Geoff during the break but had to dash off straight away.
In the afternoon I had to finish Isaiah 57 and I fear I’ve got too much content again. We popped in on the Rae’s for a visit and Phoebe absolutely loved Willow the dog. In the evening Chuck and Wyema popped round to catch up, they’ve been away just under 3 months but it’s amazing how much changes in church life during that time.